Being an entrepreneur is a very lonely journey, especially if you go at it alone. Hence why it is so important to learn to become your own cheerleader; your own hype-(wo)man!!! You’re the only person who really knows where you are trying to go and therefore you should be the one best equipped with keeping yourself inspired and focused.
Relying on others to keep you positive is not enough. I don’t know about you, but I’m so over the following experiences: When you try explaining your idea to people, and they give you a look that says “uhm, what are you talking about?” or, there are times when you just feel like having a bit of a “complaining session” about having to eat tin fish on the daily, and they look at you like “I didn’t tell you to quit a good paying job and try become the next Steve Job” or my favourite (NOT!) when they decide to give you advice about what you should do in your business and tell you to go join Riaz-Corp, because you’ll never be able to achieve this thing of yours alone.
Well, I know most don’t mean any harm by it, BUT…! If you’re anything like me, you’re not looking for their pity or their advice really – you’re just looking for some moral support! That’s why I’ve reached a point where I’m like – if I’m feeling down, frustrated and disillusioned – I need to find my own way of picking myself up!
So my advice to you, fellow entrepreneur, is to become a bit more narcissistic, arrogant and full of yourself. Yep, I said it. You see, society tells us these qualities I’ve just mentioned are wrong. We need to be humble and not act like we are better than others etc. Word of caution – I’m not saying go and act like you are better than everyone out there! All I’m saying is, create your own Hype and start believing in it!
So, here are some tips on how you can start creating your own Hype!
- Find a feel-good song or create a playlist that you listen to when you’re needing to syke yourself up! My favourite Hype song is Beyonce’s Diva! “A diva is a female version of a hustler! I’m a hustler!”
- Find an inspirational verse / quote and learn it off by heart! Repeat it when you need it! My new favourite, is a bible verse my big brother shared with me recently. Proverbs 3 verse 5 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding”!
- Help someone else and expect nothing in return! There is nothing as rewarding as giving. It really makes you feel good.
- Go to gym! Buy some boxing gloves and punch the hell out of the boxing bag! Or just go for a walk! Do whatever you like, but get some exercise! An improved self-esteem, is a positive effect of regular exercise.
- Practice your game-face. One that you put on, in situations, where you’re feeling totally out of your depth, but need to “bring it on”, like the boss that you are!
- Surround yourself with positive people and read positive articles! You need to focus on becoming the next Steve Jobs right? You don’t have the time or the energy to constantly fight off bad vibes!
- Write down some previous achievements. So when you’re feeling like you’re getting nowhere slowly, you can look at these and say “Yeah – I did this amazing thing, and can so do it again!”
- Lastly – Create a mantra! Something like “I’m smart, good-looking and kick-ass! Watch-out world, here I come”! Whatever it is you come up with, stand in front of the mirror and repeat it 10 times or until you feel like you’re sitting on top of the world and want to shout “Turn Down For What???”
…what else you would add to this list?